Topic: Valentine Dangers to Your Pet
by D.E.L.T.A. Rescue Veterinarian, Dr. Gaylord Brown
With Valentine’s Day just around the corner be aware of some treats and gifts that can be toxic or dangerous to your pets.
Lilies are often included in Valentine bouquets. They contain a toxin in the petals, leaves, and pollen. The water in their vases can become toxic due to their presence. These lilies can cause acute kidney failure in cats within a day or two of exposure. In dogs the toxin does not cause kidney failure but will cause a gastroenteritis.
Roses may cause a gastrointestinal upset in both dogs and cats if their petals or leaves are consumed. They also present a puncture risk to your pet’s mouth due to the thorns.
Many are aware that chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats. The toxic component of chocolate is theobromine. The darker the chocolate the more theobromine it will contain. This toxin is dose related. The more ingested, the greater the risk. The signs range from mild vomiting to seizures and collapse. White chocolate is not without risk. The high sugar and fat content may lead to pancreatitis.
Common items covered in chocolate can increase the risk. The most likely offenders are raisins, espresso beans, and macadamia nuts. Raisins alone may cause kidney failure. The espresso beans’ caffeine content will potentiate the toxic effect of the theobromine and in high doses is toxic alone. Macadamia nuts can cause a generally non-fatal toxicity in dogs characterized by nausea, ataxia, weakness, hyperthermia, and depression. If chocolate is added the event could be fatal.
A common sugar substitute, xylitol, is toxic to pets. It is commonly found in sugar free gum, candy, baked goods, and breath mints. Xylitol may cause a sudden drop in blood sugar and liver failure in dogs.
The key to treatment is early recognition and prompt medical treatment. Ingestion of these toxins is a true medical emergency and should be treated as such. Prevention is the best strategy. Seek veterinary assistance if ingestion occurs. Have a safe and Happy Valentine’s Day!
If you find this information helpful please share it. D.E.L.T.A. Rescue receives no help from the government and relies solely on donor contributions.
We are a certified 501 (c) (3) non profit organization Tax ID #: 95-3759277.
To donate by mail, please send a check or money order to:
D.E.L.T.A. Rescue, P.O. Box 9, Glendale, CA 91209
View e-VET ALERT Archive
- Beware Ibuprofen in Dogs. Read bulletin now.
- Are you over-vaccinating your pet? Read bulletin now.
- Potentially dangerous situations surrounding your pets and the Holidays. Read bulletin now
D.E.L.T.A Rescue is the largest “No Kill, Care-for-Life,” Sanctuary of its kind in the world. Our goal is to prolong life in a meaningful way. We keep our animals comfortable at all times. Medical conditions such as heart disease, cancer, kidney disease and other chronic illness are treated here without a ceiling on costs. Whatever our animals need, they get.
The SuperSanctuary has a total of two state-of-the-art hospitals that include dog and cat intensive care units, digital radiographs, disgnostic utrasound, physical therapy and rehabilitation, deep-tissue ultrasound, electrostimulation, treadmill and hydrotherapy.
Dedication & Everlasting Love To Animals
For Email Marketing you can trust
- e-Vet ALERT: Beware Ibuprofen in Dogs Topic: Beware Ibuprofen in Dogs by D.E.L.T.A. Rescue Veterinarian, Dr....
- e-Vet ALERT: With the Holiday season upon us, we want to make sure your pets stay safe PET SAFETY: There are a number of potentially dangerous situations...
- $5 provides a box of Valentine’s cookies for a dog, or a box of heart-shaped treats for a cat This is a very special Valentine’s Day card for Mobie,...
- e-Vet ALERT: Are you over-vaccinating your pet? D.E.L.T.A. Rescue veterinarian, Dr. Gaylord Brown The old advice of...
- Can you believe that $5 provides a box of Valentine’s cookies for a dog, or a box of heart-shaped treats for a cat This is a very special Valentine’s Day card for Mobie,...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.